"I can't afford to do this."
So you’re not growing sales and profits enough to make an investment in your business which would grow sales and profits? It’s a better than fifty percent chance that you’ll tell me that you can’t afford me, which is part of the doom loop you’re in (can’t afford help because of poor results, can’t improve results because of no help). So when will you be ready and how will you get there?
"I've never hired a Business Coach before."
You’ve also never achieved a higher degree of success before either. So without help, how do you plan on achieving something you’ve never done before?
"I'm concerned it won't work."
Is what you’re doing now working like you want it to? Does doing more of the same thing and expecting a different result sound familiar to you?
So something didn’t work, who cares? An alternative was not as effective as planned, or even outright failed. The objective is still there, Find another way. If defeat disables you, you’re not going to live a very fulfilling life.
"I'll be in a better place to do this in six months."
Why on earth would you delay the benefits this project can bring for six more months? Nothing in your business is mutually-exclusive.
"I've hired consultants before and I've gotten burned."
Me too! And accountants and doctors and managers and staff…but I still need to get my taxes done, my health issues resolved and work done in my business. I don’t have the first hire I ever made still working with me. (I actually helped her to leave and start her own successful restaurant.)
But I won’t even take on your project until I’m convinced it’s what you should do or will even work given the resources available. We’ll hash that out beforehand.
"It sounds expensive."
Compared to what? Failure?
Our fees are based on the contribution we make to the dramatic results you will achieve. Who expects to create a million-dollar business without an investment?
Also, our ROI target is 1,000%. So let’s say you invest $7,500 in a Coaching program with real metrics for results. Our target (agreed upon before we begin) would be a return of $75,000. If someone, offered me $75,000 in return for writing them a check for $7,500, I’d be writing them checks all day long. Where else can you possibly get that kind of return? And who else but me offers it to you?
"I don't think I'll ever be as successful as ____ across the street."
Don’t worry about anyone else’s performance, worry about your own. Don’t be distracted or discombobulated because someone claims it was easy for them, or they’ve already done it, or they think they’ve hit a triple, when in reality, they were born on third base.
"I just think I have too many other priorities."
Growth isn’t a priority? What system do you use? If everything is a priority, nothing is a priority.
"I want to make sure I can do this 100%."
I don’t care about 100%. This is about success not perfection. You’ll find that Pareto was right in that 80% of your results will come from 20% of your efforts. Isn’t 80% better than 0%?
"We have people that can do what it is you're suggesting."
“Really? Then why haven’t you done it?”
"Well shouldn't we do it ourselves?"
Most clients CAN do what’s proposed. That’s not the issue.
The issue is: Should they do it themselves?
The answer is usually “no” because:
- The project will take people away from their usual responsibilities
- People are generally assigned who are not critical and therefore not top performers
- There is political, cultural, and “turf” bias
- No one is likely to tell leadership that they share responsibility
- They don’t possess skill set|best practices|information, etc…
- It will be more expensive and take far longer
I could go on. But you get the point. It’s not that a client CAN’T do what we propose, it’s that they’d be crazy to do so.
More Straight Talk
- I can’t help anyone who doesn’t want to be helped, and I don’t try.
- I give you my very best advice. Whether you accept it and act on it is a commentary on you, not me.
- If there are three options and I suggest the first, but you prefer the second and I think it will work, I will help you. But if you prefer a third that clearly won’t work, I’m not going to help you to fail.
- I don’t do ‘cookie cutter’ programs. Most consultants or ‘coaches’ will offer you the same product, calibrated the same way, used on every ‘client’ they have ever come across. It’s amateurish in the least and mediocrity at best. I learn your business. I understand your market and the context for both that will create an innovation strategy that
pushes pullsdrags you into playing at a higher level.
- I don’t do hourly fees. They’re unethical and the surest sign of an amateur.
- I don’t do band-aids. A lot of clients initially call wanting this or that just to quickly get rid of something painful. However, most of the time “this or that” is not what they need. I dig deeper into the issues and come up with a course of action that doesn’t just fix what’s broken (‘fixing’ things never sticks and doesn’t work long-term) but innovates their business so that the issue ceases to ever need to be fixed again. That’s real success.
- I involve everyone. Every engagement becomes an “all hands on deck’ situation. That includes managers, hourly staff and even guests.
- I return all phone calls within 90 minutes. And if I can’t, I’ll call you to tell you when I will call you back – within 90 minutes.
- I work quickly. This isn’t rocket surgery. I’ve been doing this for four decades. People with my level of successful experience should be able to give you answers once they have all the facts.
- I don’t try to reinvent the wheel. Most successful operators already do lot’s of things that are good for them, so I just double down on those and force them to stop doing things that are inhibiting growth. It really is that simple – it’s just not that easy.
We Build Strong Brands
Summers Hospitality Group’s programs are focused on optimizing results and helping operators maximize their business’s potential. After discussing your needs and opportunities, we customize a proposal that contains specific objectives, measures, and options for how we may work together to achieve your desired outcomes.
We engage in all aspects of hospitality management and have a proven track record in developing brands and turning these brands into market-leading businesses. We provide systems and services that improve all areas of your hospitality business.
The Bottom Line
Here are three amazing benefits of participating in our programs – they are in fact three indisputable reasons why everyone should:
- You get better.
- You get better faster.
- Eventually you become your own business coach.