There are eight formal coaching steps that the best leaders and the worst bosses do differently.
To gauge where you stand on the coaching spectrum, evaluate how you do in each of these areas:
- Communicate clear performance goals and expectations.
- Meet regularly in one-on-ones for coaching.
- Ask for a summary of results and activities.
- Set plans and commitments.
- Keep commitments and action plans.
- Praise progress and recognize positive results.
- Provide timely and regular feedback and guidance.
- Make the time to coach in formal one-on-ones and build positive relationships with high expectations.